For many people who are wondering about which thermostat to buy, I hope this Honeywell WiFi Smart Thermostat RTH9580 review can help you to decide.
Let’s quickly go over the basics of a thermostat. A thermostat is a high tech temperature device that senses the temperature of an area to maintain air temperature near a desired setpoint. It can do this by switching heating or cooling components of HVAC system (heating, ventilating and air conditioning) on or off, or regulating the flow of a heat transfer fluid as needed, to maintain the correct temperature. Each HVAC system or heating/cooling machine has some specified terminals to be monitored. The most usual terminals with below codes, colors and utilities are: [/easyazon_link
Honeywell Wifi Smart Thermostat, An Overview
- C/X – Blue 24 VAC Common
- G – usually a green wire – Fan
- R – a red wire – 24 volt
- W/W1 – usually a white wire – Heat
- Y/Y1 – usually a yellow wire – Compressor to make cool
The thermostat is a set of contacts where G, W and Y are connected to R based on the electrical rules. For electric heating, the thermostat controls the fan (G) to make both G (fan) and W (heat) connect to R (24 VAC). For heating applications, a lower blower speed is used and the furnace selects it. For cooling, R is connected to Y (compressor). In air conditioning mode, the thermostat monitors the fan, so G (fan) is also connected to R. That’s the fundamental operational method of Honeywell as well as any other thermostat.
Honeywell has been a major player for a long time in thermostat business, and the Honeywell RTH9580WF thermostat is a worthy temperature controlling device, especially for people who like a mini computer screen.
With a rectangular silver cover, the Honeywell RTH9580 has a responsive touch screen that contains a wealth of information; detailed time, indoor temperature, outdoor weather temperature, humidity displayed over a user-chosen backdrop color, thermostat status such as Cool mode, Heat mode, etc.
The default color of its high-definition screen is dark green but you can adjust its color. Color scheme is customized from 12 presets or by adjusting three sliders – color (0 to 359), shade (0 – 100%), and brightness (0 to 100%), for thousands of color possibilities.
The screen will dim automatically after a chosen duration. The amount of dimming (inactive backlight level) is adjustable with a slide control; adjusting from total dim (blacked out screen) to lightly dimmed. You just need to touch the screen to wake up full brightness. Thus, screen customization of Honeywell is absolutely flexible.
Features and Performance
Using Honeywell WiFi Smart Thermostat RTH9580 is like using a common smartphone and you can learn to use it very quickly thanks to its friendly interface. The most important thing is that you can use its website or mobile application to control your thermostat through a Wi-Fi connection.
Wi-Fi is not synonymous with Internet. Remember that when the Internet is out, you can still access all your Wi-Fi accessible devices while in the house and on the same network. Thus, without an internet connection, the Honeywell RTH9580WF thermostat still works to monitor your heating and cooling system like air conditioner or furnace. But if you add internet, you could program it no matter where you are in the world. This allows the user to remotely monitor and manage home’s comfort and energy usage anytime, anywhere. Here are lists of commands you can do with your Honeywell mobile application:
- Set the temperature, and how long to hold that temperature for. It does learn how long it takes to warm up or cool down your home. Meaning, if you set it to change the temperature at 6 am and it took an hour or so to get to that temperature it will remember that the next time and start early so the temperature is reached at 6 am (not an hour later).
- Set system to heat/cool/off.
- Set fan to on/auto/circulate following pre-set timetable which is a feature most scheduling thermostats don’t give you – this setting can usually only be manually set, not scheduled.
- Set the heating and cooling target temperature for all seven days. Each day also can be programmed individually. You have the option of an overall schedule including four scheduling points – four on and off cycles per day, so it can lower the temperature at bedtime, bring it back up when you wake up, drop temperature when you head to work and cut it back on when you return. This can be applied to individual days with different on/off times for each, or just as a master schedule. And you can set temporary overrides that last until the next scheduled temperature adjustment or permanently.
- View the current indoor temperature and humidity
- View the current outdoor temperature and humidity information retrieved from Internet.
- View the 5-Day forecast for your zipcode. This is convenient for planning those schedules in advance.
- Add additional locations, and thermostat for each location.
- Set up to six notification email addresses, such as when your thermostat loses connection (suggesting a power outage) or when your home’s temperature exceeds or falls below your pre-defined limits.
Grant limited access to additional users. So if you have two locations, you could grant a babysitter access to only one of them by entering the user’s email address into your My Total Connect Comfort account.
View a full schedule overview (app only shows you one day at a time).
The Honeywell RTH9580WF thermostat can learn how long it takes your HVAC system to reach the desired temperature and begin heating/cooling at the appropriate time in advance of your scheduled time. This works well, but I’m glad there is an option to turn it off.
How to Install
The device is easy to install, but the manufacturer requires a C-wire (blue color) to provide a power source for Honeywell WiFi Smart Thermostat RTH9580WF. It means an external battery is not necessary. Unless you have the “blue” connector, you need to re-purpose the green one – this required an adjustment to the actual HVAC unit in our home. There are plenty of videos on YouTube which guides you on how to do this.
To conclude- Honeywell WiFi Smart Thermostat RTH9580 is working extremely well for us. You will not feel regret if you decide to purchase one!